From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Nagios 3 guide
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:10:24
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > > At this moment, I'm waiting for Nagios 3 to become stable on Gentoo so
3 > > that I can rerun the guide over again on a clean install (to make sure
4 > > no errors are in it) but please, everybody with some experience with
5 > > Nagios and some free time, take a look at the document
6 > > (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nagios-guide.xml) and add in some
7 > > paragraphs on topics you want to see added as well.
8
9 I'm going to file a stable request for our architectures teams somewhen
10 next week probably. I'll take a look at that guide and also reference it
11 in the postinstall-note :)
12
13 > I was planning on giving you some CVS diffs. ;]
14
15 dito ;)
16
17 > > Dertobi wanted to see a chapter on extending the installation - if you
18 > > have a few pointers I don't mind taking a stab at this as well.
19
20 pointers are pnp4nagios and nagvis - integrating pnp4nagios is quite
21 simple, i'll send in a diff this weekend. As for nagvis i'm working on
22 an ebuild right now, also integration this is a bit more complicated,
23 that's something for an 1.1 version of this guide.
24
25 > Well, Tobias mentioned the nagios-plugins-snmp package in the tree.
26 > I've got something like 20 or 30 more Nagios-related packages in my
27 > company's overlay. I didn't add them to the tree because I didn't want
28 > to maintain them, knowing that I was close to retirement.
29 >
30 > I *do* plan on making the packages available via an overlay. Hopefully,
31 > they'll be picked up by someone from the netmon team and added to the
32 > tree.
33
34 Point me to an overlay and i'll take a look at it. It's my motivation to
35 make the Nagios integration into Gentoo as best as possible. With
36 integrating lots of useful plugins we make a huge difference to other
37 distributions which in most cases only include the nagios-plugins
38 package and that's it.
39
40 > I guess that I should also mention that I have several modifications to
41 > Nagios' ebuilds, along with Cacti (and several other SNMP management
42 > packages) which I will also be making available. I've been working on
43 > an extension to the HOST-RESOURCES MIB to get package information and
44 > export it via SNMP, much like is done on RPM-based distributions, but
45 > it's taking a bit longer than I had originally anticipated. That's
46 > honestly the only "Gentoo-specific" items that I can recall which
47 > someone would want.
48
49 Interested in that ;)
50