From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 15:30:38
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > Why are you spreading such blatant misinformation?
4
5 Look at it from the new installer's point of view. He reads that stage 1
6 allows him to customise his Gentoo system (whether the one he's installing
7 or the one he's installing with isn't made clear), and that stage 3 will
8 make him put up with optimisations chosen by the distribution team. Now, I
9 ask you, how is he to know that (for present purposes) it matters not one
10 jot in the long run which stage he chooses, because recompilation of the
11 entire system is recommended after installation? He's quite likely to finish
12 the installation and then just go on to use it, oblivious of other
13 possibilities.
14
15 > Exactly what is gained by compiling the toolchain twice on your system?
16 > What do you gain that cannot be accomplished by using a stage3 tarball,
17 > editing make.conf and running an emerge -e system?
18
19 I suggest you read the long thread on emwrap that I pointed you to last
20 time. Then tell me it's all rubbish and that your method is best.
23 Rgds
24 Peter
25 Linux Counter 5290, August 93.
26 --