From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Toolchain guide?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:39:52
1 On Friday 28 July 2006 04:30, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
2 > The toolchain is arch-specific?
3
4 that depends on what you mean by "arch-specific"
5
6 binutils/gcc/glibc all use the same source code from upstream/build system
7 regardless of arch, but the same version may not work correctly on all
8 architectures
9
10 > I suspected this, but you confirmed it
11 > and for me this is one more reason for a guide to the toolchain! Perhaps
12 > it should be part of the Gentoo Handbook, since this is already arch
13 > specific?
14
15 i dont really understand what it is you're trying to document or what you
16 think you're trying to document
17
18 > 0) Introduction
19 > Binaries vs. scripts? Why binaries?
20
21 this question is answered in other Gentoo documents ... normally referred to
22 as "why from source" or "source vs binaries"
23
24 > What are libs and what is dynamic
25 > linking vs. static linking (this is important for rebuilding your
26 > system)?
27
28 static vs dynamic libs is not related to Gentoo at all ... all operating
29 systems deal with this question
30
31 > Why is Gentoo source based? Why is this so cool compared to
32 > binary based?
33
34 same questions as what you posted first in this section
35
36 > 1) What is the toolchain aka how to build binaries?
37 > <snip>
38 > Put these programs in the correct order for the build process. If you
39 > <snip>
40
41 again, not Gentoo specific ... but might be useful i think
42
43 > Helper programs
44 > Why are they needed
45
46 a better question: *what* helper programs ?
47
48 > Arch-Specific
49 > Why is the toolchain different from arch to arch?
50
51 i dont understand this at all ... of course the toolchain will be different as
52 no cpu is the same so generating code for a powerpc cpu will not work on an
53 amd64
54
55 > List of arch specific programs
56
57 there are none
58
59 > 2) How does Gentoo handle the Toolchain?
60 > Short discription of portage (ebuild (the script), emerge, ebuilds (the
61 > build instructions), eclasses, USE-flags, ...). Perhaps something about
62 > the new alternatives to emerge (or was it portage)?
63
64 a high level view might be useful, but getting into the ebuild guts would not
65 cater to the general user at all ... plus we toolchain guys like to rewrite
66 things all the time and updating the docs for people outside of the toolchain
67 herd would be a waste of our time ... if someone felt like just doing that
68 though, that would be useful
69
70 > What about compilation options (CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS)? What to do,
71 > if you want to change these? Not a complete list of options (that's
72 > gnu.org for), but the general way, how Gentoo handles these, sane
73 > compilation options. What to do, if you change these and why could this
74 > be critical for your system? How to rebuild your system (twice? world?)?
75
76 i think we already have a section touching on these topics
77
78 > 3) How does Portage handle updates of Toolchain packages?
79
80 people shouldnt care ... it should always "just work"
81 -mike