From: Sven Vermeulen <svermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Regarding handbook/draft/complete
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:10:47
1 Josh said:
2 > PS: Though the very idea of an "in-print" Gentoo book is in many ways
3 > absurd, as Gentoo is unique among Linux distros for its generally
4 > faster-paced, evolving nature, these draft handbooks present the
5 > best possible approach to actually publishing a "dead tree" Gentoo
6 > guide--something that would be a first for the distro, AFAIK. Given
7 > Gentoo's rapidly changing nature (e.g. fundamental pieces like Portage
8 > and baselayout), the need for a paper Gentoo book might seem obviated.
9 > But I'm strangely attracted to the idea. It seems more doable now that
10 > the draft handbooks have less of a specific Gentoo emphasis. I'd certainly
11 > be interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!
12
13 Like someone else stated, I too have played with the thought of converting
14 the XML to something ready for publishing. In my test, I converted it to
15 LaTeX. An example output can be seen at
16 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/tmp/handbook.pdf.
17
18 The process is quite automated although I do have to fix the LaTeX code
19 using a shell script before I start rendering it as PDF.
20
21 Wkr,
22 Sven Vermeulen
23 --