From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: cvs commit: quick-samba-howto.xml
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:33
Jack Dark wrote:
> It is "an FAQ". I'm a native en_US speaker, though I'm much more of a > stickler for correct phonetics than most. But even so, I think most > en_US speakers also say "an FAQ", because we say it phonetically: "eff > ay cue". That's the correct way of saying it in US English. >
Since when? I have never in my entire 35 years heard a N. American say it eff ay cue. Everyone I have ever talked to says it as a word not as a series of letters.I have worked in this industry for a loooong time. In fact, I worked at UUnet as a contractor for 6 months and everyone of the engineers there said it as a word and not as a series of letters. I also was a full time employee of VanStar for over 5 years and it was the same thing there. These are HUGE companies with a Global presence so all those engineers can't be wrong. According to it is acceptable both ways but saying it is as one word is now the more commonly accepted form. So I guess we are both correct and we should drop this thread and leave it up to the indivdual who is writing the document to use "A" or "An". -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list