From: joshua saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Decommissioning of Documentation Project and move to Wiki Project
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 02:16:01
1 > On Aug 1, 2016, at 10:24 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > As mentioned in a previous mail, we're going to decommission the Gentoo
6 > Documentation Project (for now) and put all documentation development
7 > efforts under the Gentoo Wiki Project umbrella. I am suggesting the
8 > following approach to do so, in a gently manner.
9 >
10 > I don't think there is a need for a waiting period between steps, but I
11 > won't hurry the actions either. Step 5 will probably take a while anyway.
12 >
13 > Please take a look at this and see if I'm forgetting something or not.
14 >
15 > Wkr,
16 > Sven Vermeulen
17 >
18 > #############################################################################
19 >
20 > 1. Update Gentoo Documentation Project wiki page with notification
21 >
22 > I am going to add a warning on the Documentation Project wiki page to inform
23 > readers that the project is being decommissioned, with an explanation why
24 > (roughly, all documentation development is now purely done as wiki edits, no
25 > need for an overarching project).
26 >
27 > 2. Remove links to Project:Documentation/Overview
28 >
29 > This page was initially meant to give pointers to actively "edited" pages,
30 > but the quality of various articles is already quite good, and there are not
31 > many editors aware of how this overview was kept up-to-date (if at all).
32 >
33 > The page is linked from a few locations (main wiki page, as well as
34 > handbooks). Instead, I'll update those to point to the main wiki page (which
35 > has "Documentation topics" under "Available documentation") as the best
36 > entry point to the remainder of Gentoo's documentation.
37 >
38 > 3. Move "active" Project:Documentation docs to Project:Wiki
39 >
40 > If I am not mistaken, there is a single document that is still quite active
41 > and needed, which is Project:Documentation/Handbook_Development. I am going
42 > to move that document to Project:Wiki as the document explains how the
43 > handbook is maintained on the wiki.
44 >
45 > All other documents will be mentioned under the "Obsolete" section of the
46 > documentation project site, and they will all receive an obsolete message on
47 > top of the article.
48 >
49 > 4. Remove all members from Gentoo Documentation Project
50 >
51 > I will remove all members from the Gentoo Documentation Project and its
52 > subproject, the Gentoo Documentation Translation Project. A single user will
53 > remain (myself) with indication that it is for housekeeping until final
54 > removal.
55 >
56 > Note that there will be two developers (jkt and jaaf) who will no longer
57 > have any active project associated with them!
58 >
59 > 5. Remove references to Gentoo Documentationn Project from *.gentoo.org
60 >
61 > Go through the various resources that we have and ensure that there are no
62 > references towards the GDP anymore (or at least not as an active project).
63 >
64 > 6. Drop infrastructural support for Gentoo Documentation
65 >
66 > Next, the infrastructural services for the Gentoo Documentation will be
67 > cleaned up. This means mailinglists and aliases (I don't think there is a
68 > repository specific to the GDP).
69 >
70 > 7. Remove Project:Documentation from the wiki
71 >
72 > Finally, clean up the last traces of the GDP from the wiki.
73
74 does this mean that existing GDP members should add ourselves to the Wiki project(1) to list our continued involvement in maintaining the wiki docs?
75
76 (1) https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Wiki