From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbooks / Autobuilds: What needs to be done?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:14:34
1 AllenJB wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Is there a breakdown of tasks for updating the handbooks for autobuilds?
5 > I looked at bug #260403 but it doesn't seem to say what actually needs
6 > to be done (I also browsed through the other open docs bugs and there's
7 > barely anything related to the user handbook there).
8
9 This is something that I've brought up on this list all the way back at
10 the beginning of March[1]. Someone else raised the issue earlier this
11 month[2].
12
13 As of right now, no one's bothered to reply on the list, nor respond
14 when I jump on to our IRC channel.
15
16 For the record, I have updated /main/en/where.xml for bug 266464[3].
17
18 But as I'm the only one doing any work these days, I have no idea when
19 the rest might be completed. As far as I know I'm the only one to even
20 start to consider all the things that need to be changed.
21
22 A few off the top of my head:
23
24 1. Keys in handbook-$arch.xml files
25 - No longer need paths to point releases. Update paths to install media
26 on the mirrors.
27 - Kernel versions will change fairly rapidly with the autobuilds, even
28 though the stages only have stable kernels.
29 - Keep monitoring ISO/stage size, or else discard keeping this
30 information, which is already present in /main/en/where.xml. I'm in
31 favor of just using a range of MB, rather than a specific size. Means
32 less constant updating.
33 - Recommended CFLAGS, especially now that GCC 4.3 is stable. Includes
34 new arches for e.g. C2D, new arches that superset things. Better yet,
35 what about just using -march=native? Native detects what you have and
36 sets based on that.
37
38 2. Various renames that have happened now that we no longer do point
39 releases.
40
41 3. Handbook restructuring proposal. I've sent some variants to the list
42 a few times now, what with the lack of point releases for networked and
43 networkless media. Needs some rethinking, and though I could just
44 unilaterally *do something* (again, no one else is doing work), I need
45 the rest of the team involved. Plus our leader should sign off on any
46 big changes.
47 - Maybe just provide some kind of current-networked and
48 current-networkless link/symlink/directory? Similar to what the
49 autobuilds have. There's no longer a need to track a specific
50 networkless revision, not even as an archive, as the old files are not
51 preserved past a certain point.
52 - Some arches have build trouble at the moment, and do not provide
53 updated CDs (yet). This may require mixing and matching directions and
54 install media.
55 - More arches are adding autobuilds, including ARM, alpha, hppa. Must
56 update as these become available.
57
58 4. ???
59