From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Handbook & autobuilds
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:47:04
1 Hello,
4 I was wondering if their is preliminary documentation on
5 the new (autobuilds) version of the handbook. Looking here:
6
7 http://gentoo.osuosl.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/20090401/
8
9 I see i486 tar files. This is EXCELLENT and will be the
10 basis of the old machine based install docs.
11
12 I have several systems to install from 586 firewalls
13 to a P4's. I'm willing to "vet" the current draft
14 of the handbook, or just make my own edit and send
15 it to whoever would like the input.
18 Also, I've built up several firewalls using old 586
19 systems and compact flash drives. I'm willing to
20 document this too and let the 'powers' figure out
21 where the doc should go. The firewalls will
22 have a single 4 gb CF drive.
25 I'm also going to build up a DNS server, that
26 has both a 4gb CF drive, for the main OS and
27 an old (non-critical) ide drive to mount
28 /tmp and other write-verbose files, so as to extend
29 the life of the CF drive, by moving the most
30 not critical, write-centric, files to the
31 ide HD.
34 I believe these endeavors will be very useful
35 to the greater Gentoo community, and all are welcome
36 to make suggestions. If these documents are not desired
37 on the official gentoo docs, then just let me know
38 and I'll find a home for them elsewhere.....
41 Comments and suggestions are most welcome.
42 Particular, using either an old knoppix
43 Cd or a system rescue cd or usb-stick
44 as the boot medium of the 'install-x86-minimal..iso
45 if that will work with these old 586 based systems.
49 James