From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] american english/british english/??? english
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:35:14
1 Shyam Mani wrote:
2
3 >Jack Dark wrote:
6 >>While browsing the docs in search of general spelling errors, I
7 >>noticed that a few documents had internationalized spelling of certain
8 >>words. Are the docs generally supposed to be written in American
9 >>English--as most of the English ones seem to be--or is that
10 >>unimportant? I have no particular preference either way; the addition
14 >I think that as long as we get the point across and the word/sentence is
15 >correct english, it doesn't matter.
19 I think there's no such thing as "correct" English, as that would
20 require a complete and consistent body of rules analogous to that of
21 algebra, which is impossible in such a varied, complex field [1]. We
22 should instead aim at idiomatic English, or even "proper" usage if you
23 prefer. My opinion is that, to the extent to which one can generalise
24 usefully, Americans try to establish a rigorous framework for whatever
25 they do, including writing, whereas the British preference is to use
26 judgment to interpret guidance - a very different approach. I spent two
27 years in Minneapolis, and discovered that, in many subtle ways, the
28 citizens of the so-called land of the free are in practice less free
29 than we are in the UK. I don't mean this as a troll, just to illustrate
30 the evident fact of different styles in UK and US.
31
32 As an aside, education in the UK has suffered grievously from the
33 attitude that adherence to norms doesn't matter, ever since the 1970s. I
34 know you aren't discussing education, but I think it is nevertheless
35 valuable to strive for high standards of expression.
36
37 >>or subtraction of a few letters from the odd word doesn't bother me. I
38 >>was just wondering if doc writers are supposed to adhere to one
39 >>consistent spelling scheme even though it might be outside of their
40 >>region.
44 Here's an example: in English (not American) "outside of" is a noun
45 phrase denoting a region: "the outside of" some boundary. The adverb we
46 should use in your sentence is "outside".
47
48 The UK and US versions of English differ in far more than spelling; on
49 the contrary, I think it's just about the most trivial difference. Word
50 order is a more important difference, and blind insistence on the Oxford
51 comma is particularly confusing and therefore misguided. This is a good
52 example of the preference for rigid rules that I mentioned above.
53
54 I won't go into other pervasive influences such as the contribution of
55 other languages on each side of the Atlantic. Not here, anyway.
56
57 >>For example, do the doc writers from the UK have to spell using
58 >>American English (or Australian English), even though it's not what
59 >>they're familiar with, or are the guidelines much more relaxed and
60 >>permit one's native lexicon to be used?
63 >Anyway, AFAIK, we have no rules on that, and I think it is darn too
64 >trivial to sit and actually bother about. If the sentence
65 >formation/spelling is good, we're okay. As an example, I recently
66 >removed sections of a patch that changed correct British English to
67 >American English like localisation to localization because it is
68 >unnecessary to correct something that is already correct :)
72 I know of three approaches to the s/z problem: the American, which
73 always uses Z, and two British usages of which one uses S and the other
74 Z. This example is not a question of correctness but of personal preference.
75
76 Lecture over... :-!
77
78 I'd like to know what support there would be for splitting the two
79 languages, so that original documents would be written using either the
80 en_GB or the en_US locale and then be translated to the other. I'd be
81 happy to contribute to such a translation effort.
82
83 [1] "Time flies like an arrow; blue flies like a banana." "He broke the
84 window with a stone; she broke the window with a curtain." I believe the
85 AI community use couplets like these to illustrate the difficulty of
86 extracting meaning from natural language. It is just not possible, in my
87 opinion, to formulate a complete, consistent set of rules for
88 application to the whole of any natural language. Or, more-or-less
89 equivalently, if that ever were achieved, the result would be more
90 difficult to apply than just getting on with using the language as we do
91 already.
94 Rgds
95 Peter Humphrey
96 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93.