From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-doc@l.g.o, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: okupy, a Django rewrite of www.g.o
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 10:29:59
1 On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Jan Kundrát <jkt@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3
4 Hi, thanks for your mail. My answer will be short though :)
5
6 > First of all, a suggestion -- maybe, when you want to do something to
7 > the docs (like change the presentation layer, integrate a WYSIWYG
8 > editor, convert to git from CVS, or stuff like that -- which are all the
9 > objectives of the project [2]), maybe it would be a great idea to
10 > contact the GDP first. There are fine contacts for chatting with us,
11 > either the nice gentoo-doc ML, or the #gentoo-doc IRC channel, or the
12 > docs-team@g.o alias. I have no idea whether Theo contacted anyone
13 > directly, but I'm sure I haven't received anything through any of these
14 > channels. That's bad, and it means that there's a communication problem
15 > somewhere.
16
17 Sure, I contacted Josh who showed much interest to my idea, and Infra
18 to make sure they (we) are willing to replace gorg
19
20 > Theo also mentions that "By all appearances Gorg has been abandoned as a
21 > project. This has resulted in difficulty in maintaining the Gentoo
22 > website, and also makes the work of updating the website's design or
23 > functionality all the more troublesome." and goes on to mention that
24 > "Gorg as an abandoned project is suffering from bugs that get pilled up,
25 > not to mention possible security risks that may arise". Can I ask for a
26 > reference to the "bugs that get pilled up", and to Gorg resulting in
27 > "difficulty in maintaining the Gentoo website"?
28
29 Gorg currently has two very important bugs open in bugzilla. We've
30 faced a couple more recently. The reality is that Gorg's developer
31 retired and stopped working on it, and noone in infra is willing to
32 touch it as well. Plus, we don't like using outdated / ambandoned
33 projects, especially for security reasons.
34
35 > Please don't get me wrong, I certainly do not want to hinder any efforts
36 > targeted at making our website better, or our workflow faster for those
37 > that really contribute. I just tend to get slightly upset when I see an
38 > approved GSoC project which will, IMHO, fundamentally change the way how
39 > GDP works, then read a few assertions that fail to persuade me, and
40 > realize that I can't find any notice of what is going to happen until
41 > after the project got approved -- that's a sure way to piss me of.
44 Nothing will change for GDP. The GuideXML will continue to exist, you
45 will be able to edit XML files directly as usual. There will be only
46 improvements here (like stats for translators, an editor, etc).
47
48 > Anyway, I really hope I'm just a weird, grumpy guy who somehow missed a
49 > well-targeted discussion. Hence, please do correct my impressions.
52 If you need any other information from my part, I'll be happy to provide it.
53
54 > In the meanwhile, have fun
55 > Jan