From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Portage per-package environment/behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 03:14:27
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:14:49 +0100
Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be> wrote:

> Hi guys, > > I noticed we don't describe in the handbook that Portage can have > per-package environment variables (like CFLAGS) > through /etc/portage/env. This can be even (ab?)used to execute > steps before or after specific phases (based on the EBUILD_PHASE > information), something I use for updating IDS systems > (postinst/prerm phase). > > But I'm not sure if and where in the handbook this can be > positioned best. The environment variable stuff could be placed in > the section on "Environment Variables", but is quite off from the > rest of the content (since the rest of that chapter has nothing > really to do with Portage or build environments). > > "Configuring through Variables" is probably the best location > (somewhere in the beginning as we talk there about Build-specific > Options), but I do feel that this particular feature is already > more targeting advanced users, where the location in the handbook > somewhat suggests this for more beginner-like types. > > Perhaps another section in "Working with Portage", called "Advanced > Portage Features" or so? This can then contain the per-package env > information, but also overriding profile information and perhaps > others we don't talk about yet. > > Any ideas on this? > > Sven >
per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have been actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs closed RESO WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been detected. as such, we shouldn't be documenting how to do it.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] Portage per-package environment/behavior Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
[gentoo-doc] Re: Portage per-package environment/behavior Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>