From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Portage per-package environment/behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 03:14:27
1 On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:14:49 +0100
2 Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be> wrote:
3
4 > Hi guys,
5 >
6 > I noticed we don't describe in the handbook that Portage can have
7 > per-package environment variables (like CFLAGS)
8 > through /etc/portage/env. This can be even (ab?)used to execute
9 > steps before or after specific phases (based on the EBUILD_PHASE
10 > information), something I use for updating IDS systems
11 > (postinst/prerm phase).
12 >
13 > But I'm not sure if and where in the handbook this can be
14 > positioned best. The environment variable stuff could be placed in
15 > the section on "Environment Variables", but is quite off from the
16 > rest of the content (since the rest of that chapter has nothing
17 > really to do with Portage or build environments).
18 >
19 > "Configuring through Variables" is probably the best location
20 > (somewhere in the beginning as we talk there about Build-specific
21 > Options), but I do feel that this particular feature is already
22 > more targeting advanced users, where the location in the handbook
23 > somewhat suggests this for more beginner-like types.
24 >
25 > Perhaps another section in "Working with Portage", called "Advanced
26 > Portage Features" or so? This can then contain the per-package env
27 > information, but also overriding profile information and perhaps
28 > others we don't talk about yet.
29 >
30 > Any ideas on this?
31 >
32 > Sven
35 per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage
36 feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have been
37 actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs closed
38 RESO WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been detected. as
39 such, we shouldn't be documenting how to do it.