From: "Mr. Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-doc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Supporting CC-BY-SA 3.0 and later versions
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:12:22
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 05:41:37PM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> Hi guys, > > With having their documents as CC-BY-SA 3.0, I > thought it might be a good idea to work this out for our documents as well. > That would allow us to "tech-write" stuff that is on the wiki properly, but > also use the newer (and recommended) version. > > Of course, that won't be done by just making <license /> refer to the 3.0 as > that will break our documents (legally, that is). Instead, I was considering > to add @version support to the license entity (in dtd and xsl), update the > supporting documents (xml-guide and the like) so that this can be done less > intrusively. > > In other words, support "<license version='3.0' />" for documents that need > to be CC-BY-SA 3.0, or for new documents. > > What's your take on this? > > Wkr, > Sven Vermeulen >
I'm for it, but what's keeping the docs team from just bumping the license version? According to the Gentoo Linux Documentation Project's (GLDP) policy [1], I do not have a say in the matter regarding which license the document I wrote is published under. This tells me that it's at the will of the GLDP whether or not to republish the document under a new license, essentially being just pointing `<license />' to the new text. Which is all fine by me because the document I did write was done under the auspices of Gentoo. Meaning I assumed that once GLDP accepted my contribution, it then owns the documentation I contributed. -- Mr. Aaron W. Swenson Gentoo Linux Developer, Proxy Committer Email : titanofold@g.o GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0 Footnotes: [1]