From: "Mr. Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-doc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Supporting CC-BY-SA 3.0 and later versions
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 03:12:22
1 On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 05:41:37PM +0000, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > With http://wiki.gentoo.org having their documents as CC-BY-SA 3.0, I
5 > thought it might be a good idea to work this out for our documents as well.
6 > That would allow us to "tech-write" stuff that is on the wiki properly, but
7 > also use the newer (and recommended) version.
8 >
9 > Of course, that won't be done by just making <license /> refer to the 3.0 as
10 > that will break our documents (legally, that is). Instead, I was considering
11 > to add @version support to the license entity (in dtd and xsl), update the
12 > supporting documents (xml-guide and the like) so that this can be done less
13 > intrusively.
14 >
15 > In other words, support "<license version='3.0' />" for documents that need
16 > to be CC-BY-SA 3.0, or for new documents.
17 >
18 > What's your take on this?
19 >
20 > Wkr,
21 > Sven Vermeulen
24 I'm for it, but what's keeping the docs team from just bumping the license
25 version?
26
27 According to the Gentoo Linux Documentation Project's (GLDP) policy [1], I
28 do not have a say in the matter regarding which license the document I
29 wrote is published under. This tells me that it's at the will of the GLDP
30 whether or not to republish the document under a new license, essentially
31 being just pointing `<license />' to the new text.
32
33 Which is all fine by me because the document I did write was done under
34 the auspices of Gentoo. Meaning I assumed that once GLDP accepted my
35 contribution, it then owns the documentation I contributed.
38 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
39 Gentoo Linux
40 Developer, Proxy Committer
41 Email : titanofold@g.o
42 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
43 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0
44
45 Footnotes:
46 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gdp/doc/doc-policy.xml#doc_chap3