From: Alexey Chumakov <achumakov@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:00:29
Hi GDPers,

Xavier Neys wrote:
> Jan Kundrát wrote: > >> Hi GDP-related entities, >> as promised on IRC, here are my ideas about $SUBJECT. >> >> Currently we have quite a lot of "unsupported"/"invalid"/"unmaintained" >> documents for one of these reasons: >> >> a) Third party article >> b) Older Handbook >> c) Translation in language which is not officially supported >> d) Outdated translation
[...] After some extensive work with mostly outdated Russian docs, I tend to agree with Jan--we need some means to signal an outdated translation. My proposition is somewhat simpler -- 1. Let the reader decide if the document is outdated :-) We'll need to link the derived document to source one, and add a displayed message: "Source document is available at [link] [optional version - fetched from source doc if possible [optional date]" Attr might look like this: <guide link="/doc/ru/sample.xml" lang="ru" source-link="/doc/en/sample.xml"> Or, maybe it'll be possible to fetch dependency info from metadoc... 2. It's also useful to introduce some link like "send comments here..." directly into document, and point it to GDP [internalization] page in the document's language. E.g. many Russian readers do not realize easily where to post their bug reports and suggestions... 3. For unofficial languages, IMHO there is no need to do anything if there's no index reference to it. And 3rd party articles are already marked :-) How do you like this idea? WKR, Alexey Chumakov -- gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents "Łukasz Damentko" <rane@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-doc] [RFC] Marking unmaintained documents "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>