From: Gregorio Guidi <greg_g@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:58:34
1 On Monday 07 November 2005 15:27, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > ...
3 > > Hmm, I'd like it, if we also (re)moved stage1 and stage2 from visible
4 > > directory, and renamed stage3 to something more appropriate by the
5 > > 2006.0. I mean, it will probably be confusing for a new user if the
6 > > guide just says "Oh, we have this things that say 1 and 2 in the
7 > > directory, but please ignore them and start from 3, because 1 and 2 are
8 > > only for devs, k?" And it won't help, that old users will most likely
9 > > continue to advice for stage 1 in so many support channels.
10 >
11 > I'm not sure if the removal of stages 1 and 2 will happen in time for
12 > 2006.0, simply because it is a *very* heated issue and one that will
13 > take some serious politics to get enacted.
14 >
15 > I guarantee that I won't be a popular guy. *grin*
16
17 That's where a bit of PR and marketing techniques could help... if you say
18 "Release Engeneering decided to not release stage1 and stage2 for 2006.0."
19 every user out there will try to kill you.
20 Instead, if you announce "For 2006.0, Release Engeneering decided to unify the
21 functionalities of the three installation stages you were used to in single
22 Stage file that provides the same capabilities and flexibility with less
23 complication." (and change the handbook along this direction) how can someone
24 complain about that?
25
26 It's just a matter of using the right words ;)
27 --
28 gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list