From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Portage per-package environment/behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:54:53
1 On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 08:59:25 +0000
2 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 07:13:59PM -0800, Joshua Saddler wrote:
5 > > per-package cflags has never been an officially supported portage
6 > > feature. in fact, it's mostly been an env hack that users have
7 > > been actively discouraged from using. they can expect to see bugs
8 > > closed RESO WONTFIX when per-package cflag monkeying has been
9 > > detected. as such, we shouldn't be documenting how to do it.
10 >
11 > I disagree. It is actively being suggested on #gentoo, and we
12 > already document features that could (or even will) result in
13 > RESO:WONTFIX, like using ~arch (both for a small set of packages as
14 > well as the entire system).
15
16 and who's suggesting it on #gentoo? users? devs? we need to talk to
17 the portage team and anyone else that would have to troubleshoot
18 build fixes caused by (ab)using it. if we get the okay from them,
19 then something like your proposed text should be added to the
20 handbook.
21
22 > I would rather have a <warn> in place then that sais it will hinder
23 > support during bug reports and might result in RESO:WONTFIX unless
24 > the user removes the specific settings and rebuilds with the system
25 > ones.