From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Portage per-package environment/behavior
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:02:03
On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Sven Vermeulen
<sven.vermeulen@××××××.be> wrote:
> Hi guys, > > I noticed we don't describe in the handbook that Portage can have > per-package environment variables (like CFLAGS) through /etc/portage/env. > This can be even (ab?)used to execute steps before or after specific phases > (based on the EBUILD_PHASE information), something I use for updating IDS > systems (postinst/prerm phase). > > But I'm not sure if and where in the handbook this can be positioned best. > The environment variable stuff could be placed in the section on > "Environment Variables", but is quite off from the rest of the content > (since the rest of that chapter has nothing really to do with Portage or > build environments). > > "Configuring through Variables" is probably the best location (somewhere in > the beginning as we talk there about Build-specific Options), but I do feel > that this particular feature is already more targeting advanced users, where > the location in the handbook somewhat suggests this for more beginner-like > types. > > Perhaps another section in "Working with Portage", called "Advanced Portage > Features" or so? This can then contain the per-package env information, but > also overriding profile information and perhaps others we don't talk about > yet. > > Any ideas on this? > >        Sven >
Hey Sven, Thanks for bringing this up. Quite a long while ago I talked with Zac about this very issue, that some of the advanced portage features were not documented in an user friendly way. It seemed to me that these features are outside the scope of the current handbook. However, your idea about extending the chapter on "Working with Portage" brings me around a little. In fact, I think it may well be an excellent place for this sort of thing. My only concern would be that these advanced features might be misused and create extra bug work for the wranglers. In any case, I would enjoy working with you on this in some capacity, as its one of the many things I have wanted to do myself for a long time. Its always more enjoyable when collaborating anyway. Thanks for the initiative! Matt -- Matthew W. Summers Gentoo Foundation Inc.