From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Gentoo newbie ebook
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:13:43
1 Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com> posted
2 380006.98299.qm@×××××××××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 29
3 Jan 2007 21:55:30 -0800:
4
5 > I would like to explore the possibility of applying a creative commons (
6 > or similar ) license to the book and then make it available through the
7 > Gentoo website for use by Gentoo newbies and computer newbies in
8 > general. So far, the materials seem to be working well with high school
9 > senior age people and I also have a 13 year old and a 9 year old working
10 > through the book with few problems ( which is surprising :-)
11 >
12 > The Gentoo installation part of the book can be found here:
13 >
14 > http://tkosan.javadevices.org/distancelearning/etec150/lectures/gentoo_linux_install_phase_1_v1.3.1.pdf
17 > And here is the beginning part of the book, which contains an
18 > explanation of how a computer works:
19 >
20 > http://tkosan.javadevices.org/distancelearning/etec150/lectures/computer_systems.v1.0.pdf
21
22 Wow! I know someone whose kid is just getting into *ix and asked for
23 recommendations. This could be right up their alley as the kid is high
24 school age. Regardless of what Gentoo does with this, I know one person
25 that's getting a link to the class site (the etec150 dir) sent to them.
26 =8^)
27
28 (FWIW, he already decided to try FreeBSD first, so I don't know if this
29 will interest him or not, but given that it's setup as a distance learning
30 course and its limited previous knowledge target, it well could. FWIW2, I
31 just read thru both pdfs, then looked at the syllabus, quizzes, etc, and
32 not only am impressed, but learned a bit I had forgotten or somehow
33 skipped, going over the general computer basics in the first part myself.
34 =8^)
35
36 I'm impressed to see this use of Linux in the educational system happening
37 in the US, not just everywhere else, as it sometimes seems from the news.
38 When you are done developing the coursework, I'd love to see pieces on it
39 in LWN and/or sites such as Linuxwatch and linux.com/newsforge. I've got
40 the site bookmarked and may be mailing you offlist, as well.
43 Duncan - No HTML msgs.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
48 gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list