From: stosss <stosss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] x86 handbook corrections
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:20:05
1 I posted this on the Forum before I saw the mailing list.
2
3 I thank you who are involved in the development of the book because it
4 is very good.
5
6 I am a newbie to Gentoo. I was following the steps in the book from
7 the beginning in order so that I would not miss anything.
8
9 I did not have any problems with the Installing Gentoo chapter and the
10 12 step sections.
11 I did not have a problem with Working with Gentoo and those 5 sections.
12 I did not have a problem with Working with Portage and those 5 sections.
13 I skipped over Gentoo Network Configuration. My network is simple and works.
14 The X Server Configuration HOWTO is wear I first had trouble. It was
15 at the end when the instructions said to start HAL.
16 I followed the instructions and the response was that HAL was not
17 installed. Up to this point there had been no instructions to install
18 HAL. This wasn't a show stopper because the fix was obvious, just
19 install HAL and then run the command again and everything should be
20 fine. It was.
21
22 Maybe the step to install HAL should be put in before the step to start HAL.
23
24 The other surprise was not so obvious. When I tried to start X, it did
25 not start but came back with a lot of text on the screen and some
26 error messages. Some of the error messages were about xterm and xclock
27 and something else missing. But there had been no instructions to
28 install those. I figured out how to install those packages.
29
30 Maybe the step to install those 3 missing packages should be put in
31 before trying to start X.
32
33 Now another problem came up. I had to go to the forum to figure out
34 what was wrong. I would not have figured that one out if I had not
35 searched the forum. The problem was a couple of variables missing.
36
37 VIDEO_CARDS="<card_type>" Mine is radeon, I have the X1650 with the R500 chip
38 INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
39
40 There weren't any instructions in the book up to the point where I was
41 in the book that said to put those variables in the /etc/make.conf
42 file.
43
44 Maybe the step for the variables should be put in also before trying to start X.
45
46 Once I fixed the above problems X started with no problems.
47
48 Overall the documentation that I have read up to this point is very
49 good. I only shared this simply because the problems would not have
50 come up if the steps had been in the book.
51
52 Not complaining just pointing out some things that probably would make
53 things easier for the volunteers on the forum if corrections were made
54 to those parts of the book where the steps are missing.
55
56 Again, I thank you who are involved in the development of the book
57 because it is very good.