From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage3 better than stage1/2
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:35:01
1 On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 21:38 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:09:33 -0500 Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | I've performed stage1 and stage3 installs on both x86 and ppc hardware
5 > | and have never encountered a circular dependency problem.
6 > | Theoretically, such problems should never arise because of the great
7 > | work performed by the RelEng QA people.
8 >
9 > No no no. Releng don't control the main tree.
10
11 ciaranm is completely correct here... releng has no control over the
12 tree. The only thing that we maintain is our own tools, and a few
13 packages which belong to the LiveCD herd. While we do quite a bit of
14 testing to ensure things work smoothly, we have to file bugs and poke
15 other developers to get things fixed, just like anybody else would.
16
17 > FWIW, there's at least one combination of USE flags that'll give you a
18 > circularly broken bootstrap currently.
19
20 This is also true. This is the one case rac was referring to when he
21 commented about circular dependency problems.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
26 Games - Developer
27 Gentoo Linux