From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage3 better than stage1/2
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:35:01
On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 21:38 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:09:33 -0500 Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o> > wrote: > | I've performed stage1 and stage3 installs on both x86 and ppc hardware > | and have never encountered a circular dependency problem. > | Theoretically, such problems should never arise because of the great > | work performed by the RelEng QA people. > > No no no. Releng don't control the main tree.
ciaranm is completely correct here... releng has no control over the tree. The only thing that we maintain is our own tools, and a few packages which belong to the LiveCD herd. While we do quite a bit of testing to ensure things work smoothly, we have to file bugs and poke other developers to get things fixed, just like anybody else would.
> FWIW, there's at least one combination of USE flags that'll give you a > circularly broken bootstrap currently.
This is also true. This is the one case rac was referring to when he commented about circular dependency problems. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux