From: Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage3 better than stage1/2
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:09:36

Sven Vermeulen wrote:
| Hi all
| Rac pointed me to the following thread:
| In short, he advises to use stage3 even if you want to perform a stage1 or
| stage2 so that you won't have issues with things like circular
| (foo depends on bar which depends on foo) and files on your system that
| aren't registered in Portage' DB.

I've performed stage1 and stage3 installs on both x86 and ppc hardware
and have never encountered a circular dependency problem.
Theoretically, such problems should never arise because of the great
work performed by the RelEng QA people.

It is my personal opinion that the only benefit of stage3 over either of
the other two is that with stage3 you get an independent system faster.
~ From there, sync and update for the full "Gentoo Experience" (tm).  If
someone is having difficulty with a specific release, that should be
handled like any other bug.

the best resource available to quick instruction in the ways of Linux.
Not to say problems don't exist or that we shouldn't address the ones
that do; just that I have never personally had this experience and that
if it is coming up, there are deeper problems in the Gentoo tree than
just the installation procedure.

My .02 USD

- -Nick Dimiduk
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (Darwin)