From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] A new lead
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:15:32
1 On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 11/01/10 17:01, Joshua Saddler wrote:
4 > > Hi guys. As of today, Xavier Neys (neysx) has been retired by infra.
5 > > So we need a new GDP lead. I've been poking people about this for a
6 > > year or so now on IRC, asking if anyone was interested in taking
7 > > over. Most folks have told me to just go ahead and do it, since
8 > > I've kinda had that role, as a de facto position ever since neysx went
9 > > MIA a long, long time ago.
10 > >
11 > > However, if anyone else has the inclination, skillz, time, etc. to
12 > > take on the leadership role, please speak up. Otherwise, I'll go
13 > > ahead and take over the project.
14 > Go ahead! You're motivated which is a good start. :)
15 >
16 > > On another note, we need some fresh blood. Translators can always use
17 > > some folks, but we need s'more English speakers besides me to fix
18 > > bugs and patch docs.
19 > >
20 > > There's a recent discussion on moving to git from CVS; maybe such a
21 > > move would lower the barrier to community contribution. If it would
22 > > do so, I'm all for it. We desperately need the help.
23 > >
24 > Honestly? I don't think git will make that big of a difference, but a
25 > wiki system would certainly make me want to contribute more. I always
26 > mess up the syntax and it ends up taking me twice as long as it should
27 > to do documentation, which is a real de-motivator. It's not that the
28 > syntax is hard, it's just that I so infrequently do documentation that I
29 > forget things. :/
30 >
31 > Anyway, good luck, you have my vote for project lead.
32 > -Joe
35 +1 here
36 If I want to contribute some stuff, I just go to gentoo wiki and write it
37 there. It is much much simpler. (
38 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Lenovo_Thinkpad_X60s)
39 If there is something related to control of the guides then maybe every wiki
40 page can be controlled by some managers of the global documentation.
41 At my work I have a local dokuwiki where I keep my notes and steps. The wiki
42 is just easy, and I do consider myself as a command line guy ;-)
43 So maybe we should really think about migrating to wiki format. It will be
44 much easier to communicate about pages, as the chatting is on the page
45 itself, and editing is really no brainer.
46
47 Regards,
48 Kfir