From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:17:42
1 On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 >> > ... to inform the contributor about the time-consuming position and pressure the application involves.
3 >>
4 >> Come on. What is this? I don't think I remember getting paid as a
5 >> Gentoo developer. This nonsense about time commitments and pressure is
6 >> pretentious.
7 >>
8 >> It seems to me that the steps for joining the Docs team for a current
9 >> developer should be much more clearly stated.
10 >
11 > Any suggestion here? It isn't difficult to update the policy to be more
12 > real-life like (my own immediate suggestion would be to drop the "numbered"
13 > commit / bug requirement and instead use a regular mentoring role, and
14 > putting the responsibility of acknowledging in the mentor's lap) but we
15 > might even go beyond just "updating" the policy.
16
17 The information on this page is very irrelevant and confusing to me,
18 as a developer.
19
20 I don't know how many non-developer documenters we have. I don't know
21 what needs to happen to that text itself, but a section about how
22 current developers join the documentation team is important. Looking
23 at the page, a person must complete the staff and doc quizzes. For a
24 developer, it seems that the requirements should simply be 1) to have
25 become a developer and 2) completed the doc quiz.
26
27 Thanks,
28 Matt