From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Improving organization during beta release
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:04:17
1 Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:42:38PM +0200, Xavier Neys wrote:
3 >> Jose Luis Rivero wrote:
4 >>> 1. Currently, there are no official maintained handbooks. We have the
5 >>> networking handbooks (/doc/*/handbook/handbook-*) marked as draft and
6 >>> the networkless docs which refers to latest stable release (2007.0)
7 >>> marked as unmaintained.
8 >> /doc/en/handbook/ and /doc/en/handbook/2008.0/ are officially maintained.
9 >> Them being marked 'draft' does not make them any less official.
10 >
11 > "Disclaimer : This document is a work in progress and should not be
12 > considered official yet."
13 >
14 > Probably people reading this is not going to consider them as official.
15 >
16 >>> 2. There are no docs covering a networking installation for the latest
17 >>> stable release. Users who don't want to use the beta can't find the
18 >>> docs to make a network based installation since they were overwriting
19 >>> by 2008.0 (which is still a beta).
20 >> draft was moved up because anyone using the latest docs and a 2007.0 media
21 >> on a modern system (read about 1 year old or more recent) could not go very
22 >> far in the installation process. Besides, those completing a 2007.0 install
23 >> would then need to upgrade some many packages that it was deemed better to
24 >> move up the draft version.
25 >
26 > Maybe some kind of warning or note about this can help the people to
27 > understand the situation.
28 >
29 >>> One idea for next time could be keeping current and networkless
30 >>> handbooks maintained until the release reaches an stable status and
31 >> Networkless will always be under xxxx.y
32 >> 2007.0 is still there, 2008.0 is already there.
33 >
34 > "Disclaimer : This handbook has been replaced by a newer version and
35 > is not maintained anymore." This warning in 2007.0 is not going to make the
36 > users go for this and if you try to find a newer version all you have is
37 > a beta. Same problem than above.
38 >
39 > I'm for keeping networkless under xxxx.y but keep the latest stable
40 > version out of 'unmantained' could help during beta phase.
41 >
42 >>> develop the new docs in /doc/*/handbook/beta/
43 >> That is done in /doc/en/handbook/draft/
44 >> We moved it up earlier than at official release time as already explained.
45 >
46 > ACK.
47 >
48 > Thanks Xavier.
49
50 As you know, the packages are still stable whether in 2007.0 or
51 2008.0betaX. There's no practical difference between the two, though
52 obviously you won't have so many updates if you use a beta tarball. The
53 only difference is the LiveCDs/DVDs.
54
55 Assuming this trend of public betas continues through coming releases,
56 we may want to add a note explaining this -- that the installed system
57 and packages are identical to the latest versions in Portage; it's only
58 the media that's "beta". Or we could even add one now, and make it
59 conditional on something like an "is_beta" key or similar in the TOC.