From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:17:31
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 15:29 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Chris Gianelloni wrote: > > > Why are you spreading such blatant misinformation? > > Look at it from the new installer's point of view. He reads that stage 1 > allows him to customise his Gentoo system (whether the one he's installing > or the one he's installing with isn't made clear), and that stage 3 will > make him put up with optimisations chosen by the distribution team. Now, I > ask you, how is he to know that (for present purposes) it matters not one > jot in the long run which stage he chooses, because recompilation of the > entire system is recommended after installation? He's quite likely to finish > the installation and then just go on to use it, oblivious of other > possibilities.
You didn't answer my question. I think you also missed the entire point of this thread is that we are *changing* the Handbook to match the current state of affairs. The truth is that the Handbook has been incorrect since 2005.0 was released.
> > Exactly what is gained by compiling the toolchain twice on your system? > > What do you gain that cannot be accomplished by using a stage3 tarball, > > editing make.conf and running an emerge -e system? > > I suggest you read the long thread on emwrap that I pointed you to last > time. Then tell me it's all rubbish and that your method is best.
I really don't have the time to read the entire discussion, but from what I did read, it looks like a load of bull. My method is all that is required. Aside from that, I don't know what point you're trying to make. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux