From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Wiki, Take #whatever
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:12:27
1 Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > However, it's been quite awhile since the last time we (the GDP) talked
3 > it over. Given our current issues of manpower and time (see
4 > archives.gentoo.org for commit totals), perhaps a wiki could solve some
5 > issues?
6
7 > So, I'd like to hear what you think. Should we have a wiki? Why or why
8 > not? If so, for once, does anyone have some *sane* ways to admin and
9 > moderate such a wiki?
10
11 I for one, am very much for a an officially Gentoo-hosted wiki. The
12 unofficial wiki has been a very valuable resource, even with its
13 shortcomings. I think we should bring it on board and offer the security
14 of our infra resources.
15
16 I am of the opinion that we should see the wiki more or less as we do
17 the forums. It is a place where users can contribute to the Gentoo
18 community. I would expect most of our users are internet-savvy enough to
19 understand the nature of a wiki as user-generated and user-editable
20 content, and therefore not being as reliable as say our official
21 documentation.
22
23 We could form a team of moderators (from both user and developer base)
24 that would do some quality control, similar to what happens on
25 Wikipedia. They could indicate articles of particular value and quality,
26 as well as indicate if there are issues (outdated, incorrect,
27 incomplete, etc) with specific articles.
28
29 I don't see the "classic problems" as problems at all, as long as the
30 nature of a wiki is taken into account.
31
32 > 1) Who has access
33 Everyone. To restrict this would be a mistake, in my opinion, and
34 against the open and free nature of a wiki.
35
36 > 2) Who reports faulty articles
37 Wiki users (and mod team)
38
39 > 3) Who fixes them
40 Wiki users (and mod team)
41
42 > 4) Who verifies the article is correct
43 Wiki users (and mod team)
44
45 We could add a disclaimer to the footer along the lines of: this wiki is
46 open and free for everyone to edit, therefore Gentoo cannot guarantee
47 the accuracy of its content.
50 Ben de Groot
51 Gentoo Linux developer (lxde, media, desktop-misc)
52 Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison
54
55 yngwin@g.o
56 http://ben.liveforge.org/
57 irc://chat.freenode.net/#gentoo-media
58 irc://irc.oftc.net/#lxde