From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Swedish translation
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:08:23
1 On 05/23/11 15:53, Markus Bergelin wrote:
2 > I am willing to help out in that regard, and would appreciate some
3 > help as to were to start.
4
5 Hi Markus,
6 sorry for a late reply. A good start is getting familiar with how we
7 work; there's a short howto for translators at our web [1] along with a
8 few pointers to more technical documentation [2].
9
10 After you'll have read that, you should know *how* to translate, how to
11 deal with our XML files etc etc. What you won't know is the missing
12 part, though, and that is that annoying fact that translating stuff
13 takes a lot of work and requires an enormous amount of patience. You'll
14 probably start working alone, translating the most important documents.
15 Later on, maybe after half a year, a couple of people will join you,
16 trying to help. Their contributions will be of varying quality, some
17 will require full rewrites, others would be great. You'll still waste
18 hours proofreading the texts, carefully comparing their translations to
19 the English originals. Nobody will step up and help you with keeping the
20 translations up to date, though, because translating new stuff is
21 Creative and Sexy and Cool, but maintaining existing stuff is boring and
22 uncool, because your creativity is vastly limited. And that's the
23 situation where most people eventually give up and declare the
24 translation effort more or less dead. I should know, I'm a lead of the
25 (dead) Czech translation.
26
27 Well, if I did not manage to drive you off yet, congratulations, you're
28 probably that kind of guy we need. So, please go through the documents
29 and start filing translations via Bugzilla.
30
31 If I did manage to sway your opinion away from translating, I've got a
32 good news for you -- we could use a few hands with good skills in
33 English. The GDP is currently severely understaffed, and having a look
34 at our open bugs [3] should tell you what needs attention.
35
36 Have fun,
37 Jan
38