From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Swedish translation
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:08:23
On 05/23/11 15:53, Markus Bergelin wrote:
> I am willing to help out in that regard, and would appreciate some > help as to were to start.
Hi Markus, sorry for a late reply. A good start is getting familiar with how we work; there's a short howto for translators at our web [1] along with a few pointers to more technical documentation [2]. After you'll have read that, you should know *how* to translate, how to deal with our XML files etc etc. What you won't know is the missing part, though, and that is that annoying fact that translating stuff takes a lot of work and requires an enormous amount of patience. You'll probably start working alone, translating the most important documents. Later on, maybe after half a year, a couple of people will join you, trying to help. Their contributions will be of varying quality, some will require full rewrites, others would be great. You'll still waste hours proofreading the texts, carefully comparing their translations to the English originals. Nobody will step up and help you with keeping the translations up to date, though, because translating new stuff is Creative and Sexy and Cool, but maintaining existing stuff is boring and uncool, because your creativity is vastly limited. And that's the situation where most people eventually give up and declare the translation effort more or less dead. I should know, I'm a lead of the (dead) Czech translation. Well, if I did not manage to drive you off yet, congratulations, you're probably that kind of guy we need. So, please go through the documents and start filing translations via Bugzilla. If I did manage to sway your opinion away from translating, I've got a good news for you -- we could use a few hands with good skills in English. The GDP is currently severely understaffed, and having a look at our open bugs [3] should tell you what needs attention. Have fun, Jan [1] [2] [3] -- Trojita, a fast e-mail client --