From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@×××××××××.net>
To: "Michael A. Smith" <michael@××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Regarding handbook/draft/complete
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:40:41
1 On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Michael A. Smith wrote:
2
3 > > interested in seeing Gentoo documentation in print!
4 >
5 > What about a periodical? I'd subscribe.
6
7 That's an interesting idea.
8
9 Are you thinking about a print newsletter or print magazine?
10
11 How often? Maybe quarterly? Or twice a year or more frequent?
12
13 A print newsletter four times a year seems like a great and do-able idea.
14 It could include:
15
16 - content direct from the website (reformatted for print)
17
18 - new how-to guides or articles (new Gentoo documentation)
19
20 - and news items in the Gentoo project and Gentoo community since the last
21 print edition
22
23 What do you think a periodical should include?
24
25 For a few years in the 1990's, I published several print newsletters
26 (covering high school basketball recruiting). I would enjoy publishing a
27 print newsletter covering open source software.
28
29 Although, it may be hard to find enough paying subscribers to pay for the
30 printing and distribution (postage, etc.) and manual labor (if not
31 volunteer). Maybe some members of the Gentoo community could offset some
32 of the costs with advertising.
33
34 Jeremy C. Reed
35 http://www.reedmedia.net/