From: Flammie Pirinen <flammie@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Request for gentoo installer translation help
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 23:09:30
1 2006-09-02, Preston Cody sanoi, jotta:
2
3 > > > #: GLIGenDialog.py:320 GLIGenDialog.py:1729
4 > > > msgid " - Unallocated space ("
5 > > > msgstr ""
6 > > >
7 > > > #: GLIGenDialog.py:322 GLIGenDialog.py:1731
8 > > > msgid "logical, "
9 > > > msgstr ""
10 > > >
11 > > > #: GLIGenDialog.py:326 GLIGenDialog.py:1735
12 > > > msgid " - Extended Partition ("
13 > > > msgstr ""
14 >
15 > The hard part of combining these is that the strings can be mixed and
16 > matched a whole bunch in the partitioning section. I'll see if I can
17 > combine a few more of those together.
18
19 That is a common problem in number of programs. Most common solution is
20 to plain write out all possible combinations, when the number of
21 possible combinations is still not too big. It does often require
22 awkward combination of branches and conditions in the code. If the
23 number of combinations is unreasonably high, or coding the part this
24 way is not reasonable for workability or readability of the code, it
25 might often still be possible to give the format strings (e.g. "- %s
26 (%s), %s, %s (%s)..." or what ever) for these possibilities, that in my
27 opinion help translators, though some people do disagree here.
28
29 Of course not having looked at source code, the both guesses I give
30 above might be totally unreasonable for this case :-)
31
32 > > How are these strings combined? I couldn't find any possible place
33 > > by quickly browsing the screen shots.
34 > >
35 > > > #: GLIGenDialog.py:1792
36 > > > msgid ": Settings: DHCP. Options: "
37 > > > msgstr ""
38 > >
39 > > : in the start?
40 >
41 > yeah that screen is all just one big string passed into a textbox,
42 > with different segments with little translatable pieces in them. the
43 > : is there for asthetic purposes. it lines up the columns.
44
45 Yes, the main point translator will again want to know is whether he
46 should do something for the colon or not. For example a French
47 translator might figure, that she should insert a space before colon
48 like is common French orthography. In this case she probably shouldn't
49 do it for the first colon, and she needs to know this. If you are using
50 xgettext here, you can help translator with translator comments.
51 Of course another possibility is to drop the initial : outside the
52 translatable string, if you reckon that no translation should change
53 it, which I assume is expected. (I assume it's
54 <http://claneb.net/members/codeman/glid_pics/tn/51_route.png.html>,
55 we are talking about, and sure enough it doesn't display the colon
56 there).
60 Flammie, Gentoo Linux Documentation’s Finnish head translator
61 and FlameEyes’ bot <http://dev.gentoo.org/~flammie>.