From: Maciej Grela <maciej.grela@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Installation handbook improvements
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:06:32
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been recently trying to install Gentoo on a new machine and
4 noticed, that the x86/amd64
5 Installation Handbook could use a few updates to better reflect the
6 reality of today`s Linux.
7 I`d like to add the following things (most important first):
8
9 1. Replace the 'fdisk' with 'parted' in the partitioning section.
10 'cfdisk' could be also mentioned.
11 A notice about MSDOS and GPT disk labels could be added to help people
12 with large disk drives
13 which cannot be partitioned in the legacy way.
14
15 2. Write about configuring wpa_supplicant for basic PSK in the
16 "Preparing for Wireless Access"
17 section. No one uses WEP anymore.
18
19 3. Add ext4 to the list of supported filesystems.
20
21 4. In the "8.a. Filesystem Information" describe the ability to define
22 block devices using
23 UUID="" and LABEL="", this approach is much better than hardcoding device names.
24
25 5. Remove the chapter dealing with LILO. I don't think anyone uses
26 that bootloader anymore.
27
28 What do you think about these proposals ? Also, will posting bugs for
29 every change with
30 guidexml patches attached be the proper way to handle this ?
31
32 Best regards,
33 Maciej Grela