From: Marc Blumentritt <M.Blumentritt@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Toolchain guide?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:05:54
1 Mike Frysinger schrieb:
2 > a lot of this cant really be called "toolchain" ... it's general *nix stuff:
3 > - basic build/compiler explanations
4 > - binaries vs scripts
5 > - shared vs static libraries
6 > - how to compile/link applications
7 > - general unix binaries
8 > -mike
9
10 if you describe it like this, than you are right, it is too much for
11 just a toolchain guide. I think, I overshot my goal here, but I thought
12 a guide/introduction/whatever about compiling packages would be cool for
13 Gentoo, because this is so important for Gentoo. Of course any
14 distributions compiles it packages, since otherwise they could
15 distribute binaries, but with Gentoo you do it yourself (with much help
16 from the devs, who provide you with portage). It just feels a little bit
17 like building your own Linux, so knowing about what actually happens
18 would be great. Looking around the net certainly provides you with
19 information, but if Gentoo would provide it, it would be nicer. But I
20 can understand it, that this kind of guide does not have much priority...
23 Anyway, I would like to have some information/instructions on the
24 toolchain. I know you said, that emerge handles it, period. But a major
25 gcc update broke my system, and I think this can happen again with an
26 major update of every toolchain package - as far as I understand this
27 topic. And this is MY main problem. I just do not understand it enough,
28 but I would like to. Perhaps a guide is too much for this, so I should
29 ask at the user-list or forums? On the other hand, there are already a
30 lot of posts, containing the big questions: How to rebuild properly your
31 complete system? I think some official answer to this with an
32 explanation would be really appreciated not only from me, but from a lot
33 of Gentoo user.
34
35 Regards,
36 Marc