From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] 2007.1 Handbook mojo / include feature
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 21:53:14
1 >>> The logic is chapters, sections and bodies can all be included, i.e. they
2 >>> either have the current structure or contain a single <include href=""/>
3 >>> element. A chapter can include chapters, a section can include sections and a
4 >>> body can include bodies.
5 >> Awesome. So the includes are all inline, and don't need to be specified
6 >> in the handbook-$arch.xml files.
7 >
8 > They appear where they are supposed to be included, just like in the current
9 > handbook format, e.g. a <chapter> either contains its content as it does now
10 > *xor* a single <include> element that points to an xml files that contains
11 > chapter(s).
12 >
13 > Including chapters in a guide:
14 >
15 > <chapter id="foo" test="1">
16 > <include href="bar.xml"/>
17 > </chapter>
18 >
19 > or in a handbook:
20 >
21 > <section id="foo" test="1">
22 > <include href="bar.xml"/>
23 > </section>
24 >
25 > The included file is expected to contain one or more <chapter>
28 > Including sections in a guide:
29 >
30 > <section id="foo" test="1">
31 > <include href="bar.xml"/>
32 > </section>
33 >
34 > or in a handbook:
35 >
36 > <subsection id="foo" test="1">
37 > <include href="bar.xml"/>
38 > </subsection>
39 >
40 > The included file is expected to contain one or more <section>
43 > Including bodies:
44 >
45 > <body id="foo" test="1">
46 > <include href="bar.xml"/>
47 > </body>
48 >
49 > The included file is expected to contain one or more <body>
52 ***
53 Read the above explanation again, twice, because that's the only documentation
54 available at the moment :)
55 ***
58 > BTW, I still think it sucks to have different names for the same things in
59 > guides and books, and even more to have the same names for different things :(
60
61 Still does.
62
63 > Conditional still apply to the same elements, nothing's changed at all.
64 > Nothing is preventing an included chapter from including sections.
65 >
66 > Please note that it's very much useless to factor out just a couple of
67 > sentences. It adds unnecessary complexity and it makes it harder to evaluate
68 > the impact of a change to a shared file.
69 >
70 > It won't be available for the next release and it wouldn't be reasonable to
71 > implement this right before a release.
72
73 Since Gentoo does not have any releases... ;-)
74
75 I had a full day at home and I thought I could get this done.
76 DTDs and XSLs have been edited.
77 x86 guick guides (normal & raid+lvm2) make use of this feature.
78 If you notice anything weird, think again, then ask/file a bug, I probably
79 forgot something.
80
81 FYI, <pre> in handbooks are now numbered exactly as they are in normal guides,
82 and they are unique in ?full=1 versions.
85 Happy New Year,
86 --
87 / Xavier Neys
88 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project