From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Re: Nagios 3 guide
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:02:49
1 On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
2 > My focus is not on Nagios itself - we don't need to document Nagios,
3 > they have documentation editors themselves. However, the document
4 > would focus on installing Nagios on the master server, installing the
5 > necessary plugins on the clients, configuring nrpe/check_ssh on Gentoo
6 > systems and integrating Gentoo-specific metrics.
7
8 Who knew integrating Gentoo specific metrics was this easy - just
9 download some scripts and integrate them ;-)
10
11 Well, I've somewhat finished what I could do for the Nagios guide.
12 Although it does talk about remote system integration (using
13 check_nrpe and a quick pointer on passwordless SSH) it definitely
14 needs some more lovin' on this behalf.
15
16 At this moment, I'm waiting for Nagios 3 to become stable on Gentoo so
17 that I can rerun the guide over again on a clean install (to make sure
18 no errors are in it) but please, everybody with some experience with
19 Nagios and some free time, take a look at the document
20 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nagios-guide.xml) and add in some
21 paragraphs on topics you want to see added as well.
22
23 Dertobi wanted to see a chapter on extending the installation - if you
24 have a few pointers I don't mind taking a stab at this as well.
25
26 Wkr,
27 Sven Vermeulen