From: Thomas M <bluerain41@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Corrections
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 02:06:21
1 On 11/26/2011 05:00 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Thomas posted on Sat, 26 Nov 2011 06:30:57 -0800 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> I found a typo in the Documentation. This is for amd64 and x86.
5 >>
6 >> The error is in the code, "mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev"
7 >>
8 >> The above command, if assumed that the user enters them exactly that
9 >> way,
10 >> would give them an error. It was correctly written as "mount -o bind
11 >> /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" previously.
12 > Thanks for the report.
13 >
14 > Please file this as a bug, as that's easier to track thru to a fix than a
15 > mailing list post that's all too easily read and forgotten about.
16 > Remember, gentoo's a community distro run by volunteers. Sometimes,
17 > "life happens". Regardless of whether that's a new baby or a new job or
18 > a death in the family, or just more work than time, sometimes it's hard
19 > to deal with a bug immediately, and having it filed as a bug instead of
20 > only posted to a mailing list, helps keep the report from getting lost
21 > and thus never fixed.
22 >
23 > https://bugs.gentoo.org
24 >
25 > But to make that bug easier to follow and fix when you do file it...
26 >
27 > Please include a link to the page (there's a URL field in the bug, and
28 > you can put the other one in a comment), and list the exact paragraph or
29 > code number if possible.
30 >
31 > The mount(8) manpage lists the --rbind olddir newdir option, so it should
32 > be supported in general, which is why I went to check the context in
33 > which it was used... and found no information about where I should look!
34 > Perhaps it was a typo or something, or maybe the instruction is indeed
35 > wrong in context, but it's pretty difficult to check if I don't know
36 > where to look. =:^\
37 >
38 > Anyway, thanks for the report. Please do file a bug with a link, etc.
39 >
40 > (PS: Posting in HTML isn't really ideal. When you do post to mailing
41 > lists, turning off HTML and using just plain text is appreciated as not
42 > everyone uses an HTML capable mail reader and raw HTML coding is ugly and
43 > hard to read. Thanks.)
44 >
45 Thank you very much.
46
47 Before filing a bug report, I wanted to make sure what I saw was correct.
48
49 The webpage is listed here [1]. After checking the mount (8) man page, I
50 have seen the similar observation as you. I would have thought that the
51 command would have given the output of completion but it returned this
52 command was not found. I fortunately reinstalled Gentoo Linux in my
53 Desktop and ran into this few weeks ago.
54
55 I just wanted to make sure it's not only on my end as I didn't see any
56 reports of it in the bug tracker.
57
58 Oh, and your PS, I'm sorry. I was using the Gmail's native browser mail. :)
59 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6>
60 [1]
61 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6
62 <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=6>