From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] [patch] integrate ia64 bootloader into common
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:56:51
Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 22:25 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote: >> this patch integrates the ia64 bootloader document into the common one >> >> perhaps it would make sense to re-architect the bootloader document like: >> hb-install-bootloader.xml >> hb-install-bootloader-grub.xml >> hb-install-bootloader-elilo.xml >> hb-install-bootloader-lilo.xml >> ... >> otherwise trying to integrate other bootloader documents isnt going to be >> fun ...
It makes less sense to split out/recombine the bootloader documents based on bootloader choice, because then we'll have even more unnecessary duplication of content. Right now, only amd64+x86 have a combined bootloader page, because they're similar enough that we can do conditionals for them. We don't have a single hb-install-bootloader doc, just FYI, because each arch is different enough to require a unique page, and I'm fine with that. You're right, it wouldn't be fun to integrate other bootloader documents; they're just too different already, so that's why we aren't integrating them to this extent. We'd copy 99% of the same text and only change the <pre>s for lilo or grub if we split 'em based on bootloader choice, and that's just plain silly. Makes maintainance harder, not easier....
> I agree, especially once/if elilo becomes a supported bootloader on > x86/amd64, due to Intel Mac machines.
...Especially since only one or two arches (at most) *might* (as Chris mentions) gain support for EFI. In other words, *if* that day comes, the only place elilo would go is in the existing amd64+x86 combo page. So, er, thanks, but no thanks? Is there a way to say that without sounding rude? I appreciate the work, but there isn't a place for it at the moment. :)