From: Nathan Zachary <nathanzachary@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Decommissioning of the Documentation project?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:32:55
1 On 14/06/16 11:31, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > With the Gentoo Wiki being the sole handler of all end user (and often also
5 > development, although the Devmanual is a separate aspect but not under
6 > Documentation project anyway) we had a small talk on #gentoo-doc if there
7 > was still a need to have the documentation project as an active project.
8 >
9 > Because, you know, we're not active (beyond the wiki, which is doing great
10 > btw).
11 >
12 > I've been looking at what the project would still mean for Gentoo right now,
13 > and if that would be sufficient to keep it alive. We
14 > - have some documentation development guidelines as part of the
15 > Project:Documentation umbrella (but which can be moved if needed)
16 > - the translation subproject underneath (but again only with a guideline for
17 > translations)
18 >
19 > And that's basically not much, and a good reflection of how things evolved
20 > in the past few years. Just keeping it in limbo doesn't serve us well. It's
21 > a somewhat empty project, with its deliverables being implemented elsewhere.
22 > So it's definitely not a failure, on the contrary. It's finished.
23 >
24 > So personally, I wouldn't mind that we move whatever is still needed to the
25 > right location (Project:Wiki most likely) and clean up (or archive if
26 > needed) the rest.
27 >
28 > But I'm also all ears for people who have some neat and innovative ideas to
29 > do through the documentation project! So, what's your take on this?
30 >
31 > Wkr,
32 > Sven Vermeulen
33 >
34 I would tend to agree. Anything that needs to be moved to the wiki can
35 be, but otherwise, having a separate repository for documentation seems
36 dated.
37
38 Cheers,
39 Nathan Zachary