From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Wiki for official docs only
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:48:16
1 AllenJB wrote:
2
3 > The basic idea is to replace the current documentation with something
4 > that's much easier to edit.
7 > On top of that the Handbooks in particular are (at a glance) a maze of
8 > multiple files pieced together into the finished product (I haven't got
9 > round to checking whether this maze is mapped out anywhere yet - I had
10 > multiple things on my todo list at the time and decided to just move on
11 > to the next item).
12
13 Easy, refresh your anoncvs, create a debug.xml file in your document root that
14 contains
15 <debug on="1"/>
16
17 and voilà, you see the file names.
18
19 > On the other hand, I (and I suspect a large number of other people in
20 > general) use wiki's quite a lot, am familiar with the syntax and find
21 > them a breeze to edit. In my opinion, it is likely the the official
22 > documentation would receive more, faster contributions if they were on a
23 > wiki instead of built using GuideXML.
24
25 In other words, you want the current docs team to learn a new syntax and a new
26 tool, and infra to install a new system because you can't learn a dozen simple
27 tags, you know like <p> for a paragraph...
30 Wkr,
31 --
32 / Xavier Neys
33 \_ Gentoo Documentation Project