From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Supporting CC-BY-SA 3.0 and later versions
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 18:06:55
1 On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:11:28PM -0500, Mr. Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > I'm for it, but what's keeping the docs team from just bumping the license
3 > version?
4 >
5 > According to the Gentoo Linux Documentation Project's (GLDP) policy [1], I
6 > do not have a say in the matter regarding which license the document I
7 > wrote is published under. This tells me that it's at the will of the GLDP
8 > whether or not to republish the document under a new license, essentially
9 > being just pointing `<license />' to the new text.
10 >
11 > Which is all fine by me because the document I did write was done under
12 > the auspices of Gentoo. Meaning I assumed that once GLDP accepted my
13 > contribution, it then owns the documentation I contributed.
14
15 I don't think that's true. As far as I know (I knew European and Belgian law
16 some time ago, but not using that knowledge clouds it a bit ;-) copyright
17 has not been transferred as long as this isn't done through a contract of
18 any kind. There were talks of asking developers to sign such a document, but
19 afaik this has never been implemented completely (although I know of a few
20 ebuild developers that did).
21
22 What we do is publish documents as allowed under its license, which is
23 CC-BY-SA 2.5. We are not allowed to change the license, unless the authors
24 of the document agree.
25
26 We *could* ask for all contributors to inform us if they allow their
27 documents to be licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 but that would be a nightmare to
28 manage I think.
29
30 Supporting <license version="3.0" /> seems like a simple solution to this.
31
32 Wkr,
33 Sven Vermeulen