From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Cc: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>, dberkholz@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] okupy, a Django rewrite of www.g.o
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 10:14:08
1 Hi,
2 yesterday I read Theo's blog post [1] about his upcoming GSoC project,
3 which apparently is about using Django for www.g.o, and has some
4 implications for the way how the GDP works.
5
6 I have a few comments/notes that I want to say here. They reflect my
7 personal opinion, which is based on six years of working with docs. I
8 have no idea whether they match the opinion of the rest of the GDP.
9
10 First of all, a suggestion -- maybe, when you want to do something to
11 the docs (like change the presentation layer, integrate a WYSIWYG
12 editor, convert to git from CVS, or stuff like that -- which are all the
13 objectives of the project [2]), maybe it would be a great idea to
14 contact the GDP first. There are fine contacts for chatting with us,
15 either the nice gentoo-doc ML, or the #gentoo-doc IRC channel, or the
16 docs-team@g.o alias. I have no idea whether Theo contacted anyone
17 directly, but I'm sure I haven't received anything through any of these
18 channels. That's bad, and it means that there's a communication problem
19 somewhere.
20
21 The project description speaks about a perceived problem with editing
22 the GuideXML files. This issue has been raised many times. My impression
23 is that people failed to support that assertion with anything
24 substantial; the people who argue that "there should be something" are
25 typically not doing much GDP work. That impression might be flawed, of
26 course.
27
28 Theo also mentions that "By all appearances Gorg has been abandoned as a
29 project. This has resulted in difficulty in maintaining the Gentoo
30 website, and also makes the work of updating the website's design or
31 functionality all the more troublesome." and goes on to mention that
32 "Gorg as an abandoned project is suffering from bugs that get pilled up,
33 not to mention possible security risks that may arise". Can I ask for a
34 reference to the "bugs that get pilled up", and to Gorg resulting in
35 "difficulty in maintaining the Gentoo website"?
36
37 Please don't get me wrong, I certainly do not want to hinder any efforts
38 targeted at making our website better, or our workflow faster for those
39 that really contribute. I just tend to get slightly upset when I see an
40 approved GSoC project which will, IMHO, fundamentally change the way how
41 GDP works, then read a few assertions that fail to persuade me, and
42 realize that I can't find any notice of what is going to happen until
43 after the project got approved -- that's a sure way to piss me of.
44
45 Anyway, I really hope I'm just a weird, grumpy guy who somehow missed a
46 well-targeted discussion. Hence, please do correct my impressions.
47
48 In the meanwhile, have fun
49 Jan
50