From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: cvs commit: quick-samba-howto.xml
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:36
1 Shyam Mani wrote:
2
3 > This is correct.
4
5 Will you people stop arguing about correctness? Any question of correctness
6 can be decided once and for all wherever it can apply, such as in
7 arithmetic. Since any attempt to define correct English is doomed to failure
8 (witness this silly thread), it is daft to keep on trying. Try for idiomatic
9 usage instead, then you can acknowledge the unavoidable regional and
10 national differences that we see and hear daily.
11
12 > It is "an" FAQ not a FAQ. The letter F sounds like eff when you say it
13
14 No it doesn't, unless it's alone. You wouldn't want me to say "an fantasy",
15 would you? FAQ is an acronym, i.e. a word just as valid as fantasy. Soon, I
16 predict, it won't even be spelt with capitals. Bend with the wind.
17
18 > and not fe fu fo... A, B, C.... F that's the sound you say F A Q with
19
20 It might be if anyone ever said F A Q.
21
22 ...so it is an FAQ.
23
24 Not in any rational lexicon.