From: Arun Raghavan <arunisgod@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Stage1/2 deprecation from Gentoo Handbook
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:22:03
1 > ...or something similar. Honestly, I would leave that up to the better
2 > judgement of the GDP. The main goal is to reduce errors generated by
3 > our users due to the extreme flexibility of the current setup, while
4 > still not removing the choice. I tend to find that if a user has to go
5 > elsewhere to read something, they're less likely to do it. This will
6 > keep the inexperienced users from doing a stage1-style installation.
7 > Truthfully, a person should be familiar with how portage works before
8 > doing a stage1-style installation, simply so they can troubleshoot their
9 > own issues.
10
11 Call me an idealist, but this sounds too much like a "guilty until
12 proven innocent" thing. I'm a "normal" Gentoo user, and had absolutely
13 no trouble following the stage1 instructions. Let's leave the "the
14 user is dumb" assumptions to Microsoft.
15
16 Instead, a prominent explamnation and warning about what doing
17 so-and-so would entail would be good.
18 --
19 Arun Raghavan
20 (http://nemesis.accosted.net)
21 v2sw5Chw4+5ln4pr6$OFck2ma4+9u8w3+1!m?l7+9GSCKi056
22 e6+9i4b8/9HTAen4+5g4/8APa2Xs8r1/2p5-8 hackerkey.com
25 gentoo-doc@g.o mailing list