From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Gentoo newbie ebook
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:18:06
1 Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > Hi Ted,
3 > you might be interested in a draft of the "Introduction to Linux" stuff
4 > [1] than one of our developers started some time ago. I'm not aware of
5 > anyone working on it ATM, though.
6 >
7 > Any contributions are more than welcome :)
8 >
9 > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/draft/complete/handbook.xml
10 >
11 > Cheers,
12 > -jkt
13
14 I've been occasionally contributing to it lately; I'm intending to
15 perhaps do some more with it. Really, a book on Linux in general would
16 be much more comprehensive. Problem is, a general book about Linux
17 fundamentals is not necessarily what Gentoo needs -- users (and
18 developers) need to know specifics about *our* OS. The general Linux
19 concepts they can pick up from just about anywhere. That information has
20 been duplicated ad infinitum; just stroll down to your local bookstore
21 or browse the web. You want to know the specific Gentoo stuff? Our
22 installation handbook and online documentation suffice quite nicely.
23
24 Newbies would do much better to familiarize themselves with general
25 Linux terms, principles, procedures etc. before taking the plunge into
26 Gentoo -- read outside documentation first; I'm not sure I see the need
27 to include that with our advanced guides. We're not a distro that holds
28 your hand. That being said, I think our documentation is rather
29 satisfactory -- I don't see the need for providing a new to Linux *and*
30 Gentoo book. Unnecessary duplication of information, including an
31 arguable waste of time and effort.
32
33 That's why I'm still up in the air about Sven's old draft handbook --
34 there's a very fine line to walk. You can either just write something
35 that is more generic, and has fewer distro-specific
36 commands/suggestions/discussions (in which case what's the point?) or
37 you can show users what they need to know to accomplish tasks "The
38 Gentoo Way". Finding the balance between the two (if there is one), is
39 tough. Especially since I'm not too sure that someone who first needs to
40 know how a computer works (or what it is!) should be trying to figure
41 out Gentoo just yet. ;) -- Hey, I could be wrong; maybe Gentoo would
42 make a great object lesson.
43
44 All that being said, do take a look at the draft Jan linked; it's
45 already CC-licensed, and our policy thus far (based on precedent) is
46 that we don't host documents here that haven't been guideXMLified and
47 properly licensed without the prior approval of the author(s).