From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Gentoo newbie ebook
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:18:06
Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi Ted, > you might be interested in a draft of the "Introduction to Linux" stuff > [1] than one of our developers started some time ago. I'm not aware of > anyone working on it ATM, though. > > Any contributions are more than welcome :) > > [1] > > Cheers, > -jkt
I've been occasionally contributing to it lately; I'm intending to perhaps do some more with it. Really, a book on Linux in general would be much more comprehensive. Problem is, a general book about Linux fundamentals is not necessarily what Gentoo needs -- users (and developers) need to know specifics about *our* OS. The general Linux concepts they can pick up from just about anywhere. That information has been duplicated ad infinitum; just stroll down to your local bookstore or browse the web. You want to know the specific Gentoo stuff? Our installation handbook and online documentation suffice quite nicely. Newbies would do much better to familiarize themselves with general Linux terms, principles, procedures etc. before taking the plunge into Gentoo -- read outside documentation first; I'm not sure I see the need to include that with our advanced guides. We're not a distro that holds your hand. That being said, I think our documentation is rather satisfactory -- I don't see the need for providing a new to Linux *and* Gentoo book. Unnecessary duplication of information, including an arguable waste of time and effort. That's why I'm still up in the air about Sven's old draft handbook -- there's a very fine line to walk. You can either just write something that is more generic, and has fewer distro-specific commands/suggestions/discussions (in which case what's the point?) or you can show users what they need to know to accomplish tasks "The Gentoo Way". Finding the balance between the two (if there is one), is tough. Especially since I'm not too sure that someone who first needs to know how a computer works (or what it is!) should be trying to figure out Gentoo just yet. ;) -- Hey, I could be wrong; maybe Gentoo would make a great object lesson. All that being said, do take a look at the draft Jan linked; it's already CC-licensed, and our policy thus far (based on precedent) is that we don't host documents here that haven't been guideXMLified and properly licensed without the prior approval of the author(s).

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] Gentoo newbie ebook Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com>