From: Stanislaw Gruszka <stf_xl@××.pl>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Slow modem connection in FAQ
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:43:20
1 Hi list
2
3 I write here, because I wonder such strange ansfer about question
4 "I have only slow modem connection at home.
5 Can I download sources somewhere else and add them to my system?"
6
7 Generally most time of gentoo installation is compilation time of packages,
8 I think it is fine idea to make download packages parallel with compilation.
9
10 So answer should be something like:
11
12 Open first console (or first chroot environment)
13
14 $ emerge --fetchonly what_you_want
15
16 Open second console (or second chroot environment)
17
18 $ emerge what_you_want
19
20 This make parallel compilation/download except first packet
21 emerged in what_you_want.
22
23 I think people already know this trick, but it is not show in FAQ
24
25 __
26 Regards
27 Staszek Gruszka