From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbook: Disc Labels?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 19:12:37
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 13:19:58 -0500
wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:

> Hello, > > Some discussion on modifying the Gentoo Handbook to > describe how to use Disk Labels is warranted? > > Many have switched to disk labels in fstab. Maybe > the Gentoo handbook should include a section on disk label > usage to prepare for the future?
These aren't needed to get a system up and running. Yeah, Ubuntu uses them for various ID purposes, but nothing really critical. Unless there's a clear need for them, for example if some package in the @system set will use them in a way that our users will see, I doubt the handbook needs to cover them. Adding labels using udev just seems very finicky and time-consuming, and doesn't seem like it would be of much utility when users are already swamped with everything else the handbook asks them to do. If someone's willing to provide the text, then sure, I'll consider adding it to the handbooks, but if not, then I won't spend any energy trying to write something up. Things like GPT for hard disks are far more important, now that the large-size disks are shipping with it rather than the old MSDOS partition arrangement..

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbook: Disc Labels? wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>