From: Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Improving organization during beta release
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:18:49
1 Hi *:
2
3 I want to send this mail to make us think a little in how we are
4 handling the documentation during the beta releases. The documentation
5 itself it's perfect (great job Josh), but there are a couple of points
6 which I think are confusing the users about what documents
7 they should use.
8
9 1. Currently, there are no official maintained handbooks. We have the
10 networking handbooks (/doc/*/handbook/handbook-*) marked as draft and
11 the networkless docs which refers to latest stable release (2007.0)
12 marked as unmaintained.
13
14 2. There are no docs covering a networking installation for the latest
15 stable release. Users who don't want to use the beta can't find the
16 docs to make a network based installation since they were overwriting
17 by 2008.0 (which is still a beta).
18
19 One idea for next time could be keeping current and networkless
20 handbooks maintained until the release reaches an stable status and
21 develop the new docs in /doc/*/handbook/beta/ and /doc/*/handbook/200X.Y/.
22
23 Comments, thoughts, flames, are all welcome.
24
25 P.D: Excuse me if I'm missing something and the points exposed here are
26 completely wrong.
29 Jose Luis Rivero <yoswink@g.o>
30 Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha
33 gentoo-doc@l.g.o mailing list