From: Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] enabling CONFIG_SYSVIPC in the kernel for nvidia and others.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:07:47
1 @Dale - I think that XORG (xserver) ebuild should check SYSVIPC is enabled
2 and push some warnings on the screen like:
3
4 ---
5 * Warning: SYSVIPC in your kernel configuration is not enabled. Some drivers
6 like nVidia properitary drivers
7 * depend on it and will not function properly when SYSVIPC disabled. Please
8 enable SYSVIPC to build and load
9 * that drivers.
10 ---
11
12 or better push an error when building. As drivers still evaluate we don't
13 know what developer of some company will include Inter Process Communication
14 in projects and final builds of drivers.
15
16 Is there way to patch any kernel (like gentoo-sources) emerged with Gentoo
17 to enable this flag by default and set this as constant that cannot be
18 changed by user?
19
20 Mat.
23 2010/12/15 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
24
25 > Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
26 >
27 >> I think that SYSVIPC should be enabled by everyone. Inter Process
28 >> Communication in style of SystemV is good thing. My apps are using it so no
29 >> one knows if it's not needed in n-number of developers. Also I like Shared
30 >> Memory, Pipes, FIFO etc. This should be enabled in kernel by default.
31 >>
32 >> Mateusz M.
36 > I don't disagree that other programs can use it but it took us all a while
37 > to figure out why the nvidia drivers wasn't working. When the problem
38 > started, I checked the things listed on the docs but did not know to check
39 > this. This may very well need to be mentioned somewhere else but it may
40 > need to be mentioned on the nvidia and possibly ATI driver docs as well.
41 > This was a hair puller for sure and it is not mentioned anywhere in the
42 > docs and we all know that Gentoo has some awesome docs.
43 >
44 > I don't mind filing a bug but wasn't sure if that was what was needed or
45 > not. I certainly wouldn't want someone to go through the same as I did. I
46 > was starting to look at hardware problems and buying things when the fix was
47 > found. Bad thing is, new hardware would have done the same thing.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
57 Mateusz Mierzwiński