From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] 2007.0 mojo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:26:10
1 Joseph Jezak wrote:
2 > I don't have a problem with the "cp crap". It's obvious what it
3 > does and make install doesn't work on all architectures. "make
4 > install" isn't as explicit and may introduce other issues.
5 >
6 > -Joe
7
8 Well, alrighty then. I hadn't figured "make install" would change its
9 behavior so much on different platforms. Fortunately, I'd only commented
10 out that stuff in a couple of handbooks, so I'll go back and revert that
11 change.
12
13 I did, however, have to fix some instances where the directions referred
14 to cping vmmlinuz, but the *-bootloader files talked about vmlinux.
15 That'll be the only thing to remain changed.
16
17 What about just leaving it for x86+amd64? the "make install" copies
18 everything properly for me whether or not /boot is a separate partition,
19 and since I actually have the hardware (a whole 2 arches ;)), I can say
20 with certainty it causes no issues.
21
22 I'm always surprised when people find out there's a "make install"
23 command to begin with -- it seems like it's one of the best-kept secrets
24 of kernel compilation, right up there with "make gconfig". It doesn't
25 cause problems on these two arches, and it's nicer than cping a buncha
26 stuff and manually naming it. I'd like to keep it in for x86+amd64.
27 Thoughts?