From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Handbooks / Autobuilds: What needs to be done?
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 00:38:36
1 Nathan Zachary wrote:
2
3 > Okay, we can continue the conversation via email instead of on the
4 > mailing list if you would like. I would be more than happy to try and
5 > look at some of the bugs.
8 Well, I joined the this list to help out with documentation. One of
9 the things I'm working on is installing older hardware with CF-to-ide
10 converters. What I need is a basic understanding of how a installation
11 differs with autobuilds vs the the existing handbook.
15 My suggestions is that once I get that knowledge assimilation of the
16 basics of using autobuild to perform an installation, to just
17 edit a copy of the handbook the way I think it should be modified. Put
18 the doc somewhere for others to review. Then maybe some 'master
19 editor' can look at my suggestions and others' suggestions and make a
20 final version. I like to use installation docs as I go through several
21 installations and refine the docs as I go. Slow but thorough and
22 inclusive. I lack experience in using autobuilds to do an
23 installation. So if somebody has some skeleton notes, I can use on
24 some on older machines, I can provide a modified doc, if that is
25 interesting to folks on the doc team? Perhaps it could be an
26 alternative installation guide that I maintain for Gentoo, because
27 on gentoo user, we always have folks that need help putting Gentoo
28 on older (586) hardware. I intend to be very verbose in adding
29 iptables for firewalls and Bind 9 for DNS primary and secondary
30 servers.
33 Otherwise, I'm open to suggestion as to how I can help. I've been
34 using Gentoo since 2004.1...... An I can can do the 586 firewalls
35 and DNS servers separate from this group...
38 James