From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Xorg Documentation Suggestion
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 09:50:20
1 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Hello Roger,
5 > On 06/01/10 02:55, Roger A. Simoneau wrote:
6 >
7 >> Greetings;
8 >>
9 >> I've been in the process of upgrading (been a couple years). I ran into
10 >> a bit of an issue that took a bit to resolve. My suggestion comes based
11 >> on what I did to resolve the issue.
12 >>
13 >> Please add a reference to the X Server Configuration Howto that the
14 >> individual may require emerging xf86-input-evdev prior to execution of
15 >> the X server. In my case, that package wasn't automatically emerged
16 >> when I emerged the Xorg server.
17 >>
18 > from what you describe I have the impression that status quo may need
19 > fixing rather than documentation.
20 >
21 > How come xf86-input-evdev is needed but not a dependency?
22 > Is it a bug in the ebuild? Was your usage unusual in any way?
23 > Could you research that for us and come back with more details?
24 >
25 > Thanks, best,
29 > Sebastian
33 I just did a reinstall on my system and it appears to have pulled in the
34 drivers correctly. This is what equery shows:
35
36 smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-mouse
37 * These packages depend on xf86-input-mouse:
38 x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_mouse ?
39 x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse)
40 smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-evdev
41 * These packages depend on xf86-input-evdev:
42 x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_evdev ?
43 x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev)
44 smoker-new ~ # equery d xf86-input-keyboard
45 * These packages depend on xf86-input-keyboard:
46 x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7 (input_devices_keyboard ?
47 x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard)
48 smoker-new ~ #
49
50 Also, when I emerged xorg, it pulled in evdev, keyboard and mouse
51 drivers as I have them set in make.conf. It even pulled in my nvidia
52 drivers since it is set in make.conf as well.
53
54 The biggest issue I ran into was a bad set of binaries that I copied
55 from the old system. Other than that, the install instructions seemed
56 to have been fine. I followed them since it has been a few years since
57 I did a install. I did find myself sort of lost for a bit tho. After
58 the reboot part, its like the install docs ran dry. I had to go search
59 the doc list to find the X and KDE part. I think it should have a link
60 to KDE, gnome and maybe a couple other options such as Fluxbox or
61 something. Sort of guide a person at least a little. This is a link to
62 the page I viewed:
63
64 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=12
65