From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-doc] Review of Documentation Policy
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:41:34
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:43:51 -0400
Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> > wrote: > > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 08:16:59PM -0400, Matt Turner wrote: > >> The information on this page is very irrelevant and confusing to > >> me, as a developer. > >> > >> I don't know how many non-developer documenters we have. I don't > >> know what needs to happen to that text itself, but a section > >> about how current developers join the documentation team is > >> important. Looking at the page, a person must complete the staff > >> and doc quizzes. For a developer, it seems that the requirements > >> should simply be 1) to have become a developer and 2) completed > >> the doc quiz. > > > > Documentation developers are also developers, but they do not > > need to be an ebuild-developer. If I look at the GDP current > > staffing, there are 8 developers that are also ebuild developers > > (or infrastructure or another function within Gentoo) and 11 > > developers on the documentation (and translations) only. > > > > Requiring documentation developers to also take the ebuild and > > end quiz would be overshooting, as that is not something they > > require. > > > > Wkr, > >        Sven Vermeulen > > Right, I'm saying for people who are already developers, they should > really only have to complete the doc quiz. > > Matt >
You want to contribute ebuilds, you have to go through a process that teaches you what you need to know, and shows your mentor that know what you're doing; that you're not going to screw up everyone's boxes. You want to write documentation, you have to go through a process that teaches you what you need to know, and shows your mentor that you know what you're doing; that you're not going to screw up everyone's boxes ... *or the Gentoo websites*. (via bad commits that break layouts, links, XML, CSS, etc.) Everyone has to go through a process when wanting to join a team. What's so hard about this? Why should ebuild developers get a free pass to get write access? Over the years, I've talked with several different ebuild team leads, as I was interested in what it took to get access to gentoo-x86. There's no free pass for longtime doc writers, either, even those that have run their own private overlay for a long time. I don't just take the ebuild quiz and get commit access. There's a process that I have to go through, too. Maybe I'm just reading this wrong, but it sounds like you want to set things up so that anyone who wants to change a doc can overwrite it directly. That's fine for stuff in /proj/ -- the GDP doesn't care about that; documents in /proj/ are solely the responsibility of those projects. And that's why, overall, the quality of stuff in /proj/ is not as good as what's in /doc/.