From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-doc] Wiki, Take #whatever
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:16:38
1 Hey again. So there's some discussion (again) on starting up an official
2 Gentoo wiki. Official meaning it's hosted on our infrastructure; e.g.
3 wiki.gentoo.org. This time the discussion is coming from our fellow
4 developers and infra overlords.
5
6 I know that the GDP discussed this any number of times on this list, and
7 some of us (most notably myself and neysx) have discussed it on the
8 forums, with occasional feedback from other developers.
9
10 However, it's been quite awhile since the last time we (the GDP) talked
11 it over. Given our current issues of manpower and time (see
12 archives.gentoo.org for commit totals), perhaps a wiki could solve some
13 issues?
14
15 The classic problems are:
16 1) Who has access
17 2) Who reports faulty articles
18 3) Who fixes them
19 4) Who verifies the article is correct
20 5) ???
21 6) Profit
22
23 So, I'd like to hear what you think. Should we have a wiki? Why or why
24 not? If so, for once, does anyone have some *sane* ways to admin and
25 moderate such a wiki?
26
27 There's no question that having a properly-administered wiki can be a
28 powerful asset. Look at Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, the Xfce wiki, etc. What
29 about Gentoo?
30
31 Halcyon has brought it up again on https://bugs.gentoo.org/75855, but
32 BEFORE I/we go over there and weigh in, let's hash it out here on our
33 list. :)